A SECRET SOURCE

"Good evening, Scoop. I'm Red Hernandez, long-time police reporter for The Courier. I retired last month after 30 years on the job, but my sources haven't stopped talking to me. And that's why I'm calling you.

One of my best marks works for the Community Police Department's internal affairs office. Off the record, he told me that the civilian who was shot during the gunfight was a guy named Bob Carlyle, a teller at the bank who was hiding behind the counter when the bank was robbed and who was the first person to call 911.

Well, it turns out poor Mr. Carlyle got shot by a cop who thought he was another robber. The officer who shot him has been placed on leave, of course, pending an investigation, but my source tells me that most everyone already agrees that the officer who shot him didn't do anything wrong. Just at the wrong place at the wrong time, I suppose.

Anyway, good luck with the story."